The building was built in 1910 by the Slovenian entrepreneur Anton Kajfež for his workers at the sawmill. He was also the founder of the Tekstilana textile factory. As it was then the tallest building in Kočevje, it was named the Skyscraper. On the lower floor there was a tavern and a store. In the adjacent building was a mill. Later, they connected the basic building and the mill and arranged apartments for state road construction workers. Today it is an apartment building.
Several villas stand at the Ljubljanska cesta road, most of them built during the Art Nouveau period (1897 – 1920, an artistic period that started in Vienna to promote innovation and artistic freedom).